Pia, sometimes known as “SHERM” is an artist/designer from Los Angeles, CA. Keeping it short and sweet because studies show that nobody gives a crap. More info here.
Whenever something I love becomes popular or trendy, I lose interest; I tend to go the opposite way and look for something else to get into. Same goes with subject matter in my artwork; if other people start to paint the same things, then it’s time for me to change it up. I might be going in a weird direction and nobody might not like it as much, but does it matter? If it feels right to you, then that’s all that matters. And so here I am on this lonely trip to nowhere, exploring the outer regions of nothingness…
I want everything we do to be beautiful. I don’t give a damn whether the client understands that that’s worth anything, or that the client thinks it’s worth anything, or whether it is worth anything. It’s worth it to me. It’s the way I want to live my life. I want to make beautiful things, even if nobody cares.
— SAUL BASS
I keep trying to figure out where it is I actually fit in…and I’ve come to realize that I really don’t (or won’t ever) fit in anywhere. And so be it.
The Hermit card has been coming up a lot for me. When you look at the card, it doesn’t seem like anything is going on (an old man on top of a mountain, carrying a stick and lantern). And yet he carries a lantern that is illuminated; everything is happening inward for the Hermit, going on some kind of journey and searching within yourself, questioning things about your life, coming up with your own answers and getting to know yourself better along the way so you don’t repeat certain destructive thought patterns.
To those who feel alone, just know that you are never alone. There are unseen energies constantly guiding you, helping you on a very subtle level.
To those who feel like nothing’s happening for them in this life, be patient. Things never happen at the time you want them to, but they will happen. It will all make sense when you look back later on.
Even when you feel miserable, there’s always something to be grateful for…so count your blessings ESPECIALLY when you’re feeling down. Remember that it could always be worse.
I’m still learning about the tarot; what I’ve discovered in the last few months is that every time I pull cards (around 3 to 5), certain cards will appear to me over and over every few days or so until the person or event it’s alluding to comes in to your life and then you say to yourself ‘Aha, so that’s what it was’. Well today, Death appeared to me this morning unexpectedly; but as today’s events unfolded, the card made total sense.
Divinatory meaning: an important ending that will initiate great change. It signals the end of an era, a moment when a door is closing.
I can’t sleep so here I am talking to myself…
- work’s been whatever. too many pointless meetings and I hate it. I want out but not even sure what I want to do next; I think as long as I’m designing, learning, growing and being challenged; have awesome, drama-free co-workers and not have to be in stupid meetings, I’m happy. I don’t have too many demands. life’s never perfect though, there’s always some kind of catch even when I get what I want.
- because work’s been whatever, I’ve been considering going part-time or freelance or both. Oh and btw, if you or someone you know needs a simple website done, I can do that.
- other than that, life’s been good to me. I really can’t ask for anything more than maybe a bigger place to live. I used to want more money, but even that comes with more stress and expectations to do more than what’s on your plate. I also want to visit friends minus the travel anxieties.
- I had a great weekend; it’s good to be around genuinely nice, chill people. I’d like to thank my husband for getting everything handled. I would be lost without him.
- I’d rather be alone and have no friends than associate with douchebags; if that’s the company you keep then I probably won’t come around. too many people play the fake humble card now, I can still see right through you. you may be an awesome artist to the clueless, adoring public but first impressions don’t lie; you’re still a mega-douche.
So much for trying to blog regularly on here…work’s been keeping me stupid busy. I’ve been plotting my exit strategy, but it might take some time. And I must mentally get out of my comfort zone; even though you don’t like what’s happening you start to get used to the way things are, becoming more resistant to change. I think that’s how most people live their lives, being comfortably miserable and feeling like they don’t deserve something better.
At least I got to paint a little with old friends, albeit rusty! Perhaps you will see more from me this year…maybe. Maybe, baby.
I wish my mind would quiet itself; I have yet to master the art of meditation. I’ve learned though, that creating & staring at something like this actually puts my mind in a similar state. We are everything and nothing at the same time, a paradox.
There was a time when I was obsessing over graffiti when I was coming up; I was digging thru old files recently and found this:
Wow, I sound really dumb…and yet there is some truth in it. Life is weird like that.
Man’s most destructive qualities unleashed. Great caution and awareness necessary in business or personal relationship. (Morgan-Greer tarot deck booklet)
This is the first card I pulled of the first day of the year. Though the image is powerful and ominous, I’ve acquainted myself with the image of the devil over the years, so much that I no longer fear it. It is a representation of man and what we are capable of when we don’t put ourselves in check.
The years following my mom’s passing, my subconscious turned to dark energy – books, music & imagery for solace. She was a Christian woman who always shoved religion down my throat and so when she passed, it felt natural to explore the opposite of Christianity.
Though I don’t subscribe to any religion now, I’m learning every day that both forces are needed – dark/light, positive/negative, what we perceive to be good/bad to live a balanced life.
How fitting that this card would come up in the time of Capricorn.
*Most are mine, some I’ve read from other people…
1. The more you get to know certain people and what they’re really about, the more you end up despising them. It is better to keep your distance. Thus the term “frenemies”.
2. Continue to be creative, whether you have an audience or not. When you do have an audience, you fall into the trap of creating what they want to see out of you – not what you want to actually create. Don’t be a crowd-pleaser.
3. Most people think they are being “weird and different” – little do they know that they are really just followers, unconsciously jumping on to the next hip thing.
4. The best way to support artists is to actually buy their art.
5. Unless you are some kind of celebrity, if you don’t know how to compliment or like other people’s stuff (online or in real life), then don’t expect much in return. Karma works in the same exact way online. But then again, don’t force it if you really don’t like anything at all! There’s a fine line between pity-liking, pity-following and being you. If you can’t decide between the three, then definitely be YOU.
6. Find your inspiration in the rarest of places, because the internet is played out.
7. Be mysterious and full of surprises – don’t show everything you do on the internet!
8. Be random in these times of predictability.
9. People (even the person who wrote this) will contradict themselves. If you don’t know who or what to believe in, believe in yourself.
I am going to attempt to start posting on here again. Kinda sick of Facebook & Instagram at the moment; I feel like my creativity suffers because I’m on there so much. If I had a Twitter account I suppose I would bitch about that too. Haha. I don’t understand people who have tons of social media accounts; do you really need to be on EVERY single one? Narrow it down to the ones you use the most and get rid of the rest. But hey, that’s just me. I counted how many accounts I have…6. That’s my lucky number.
So yes, come visit if you want. I will also try not to post the same stuff that you would see somewhere else.
The card above represents my zodiac sign, Sagittarius. Combination of forces, realization, action based on accurate calculation; the way of escape, success after elaborate manoeuvres. This card is from the Thoth deck, beautifully illustrated by Lady Frieda Harris.
The change that I was looking for (see my blog post about the Magician a few months ago) was not anything material (like a new job, which I thought was going to happen). I thought that was what I wanted to happen – because that’s what I normally do when I don’t like my work situation, but apparently I’m still here for whatever reason I have yet to discover.
Anyways, the change was on a spiritual, more personal level. Learning the tarot has enhanced my way of thinking and allowed me to unlock all this hidden knowledge that’s connected to it. I basically fell into the rabbit hole of the unknown, yet made known to those who genuinely seek it. I didn’t even have any intentions of learning the tarot; my only (logical) explanation for this is that I was so bored and unchallenged at work for some time now; my life, art, whatever passion I had…was not moving in any direction. The universe somehow answered my call and here I am, forever transformed. I’m not where I want to be yet, but at least I know and trust my intuition that I am on the right path. I will forever be the student, trying to understand the greater mysteries of life.